Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Breakfast "Cookie"

Yeah those two words should not be in the same sentence!

You should not be eating cookies for breakfast, but this is the exception.  Brought to my attention by a client, this is a sara-approved breakfast option, and really quite good.  I feel I've turned into my clients...the ones I have to force to eat breakfast, stop drinking coffee, and drink more water in a day!  A baby does this to you, I get it now!  But doesn't mean I don't still try.  That's why I felt like this protein cookie was a good alternative for a mama who can't eat eggs and who isn't in the mood to cook turkey bacon or eat smoked salmon every morning (which is typical for me.)

This recipe is similar to making muesli, just with less liquid.  You can add different ingredients to your liking too, like nuts or seeds, fruit or dried fruit, etc.

I use Warrior Blend raw protein for several reasons, but the main reasons being that I can't digest grain protein powders well, and I have an intolerance to whey, egg, and soy...so that leaves this one and it suits me well.  It is pea, cranberry and hemp protein and does not have added sweetener. The medical grade protein supplements I use with my clients (Clearvite) are contraindicated with breastfeeding mamas (me), thus I needed an alternative.  It is very gentle on my system, has very few (all approved) ingredients, has 16g of protein, and tastes good.  You of course can use whatever protein powder you want.



 Breakfast Cookie (modified from fitnessista.com)

1/4 cup raw GF oats
1/2 scoop Warrior Blend Protein
1 tbsp raw almond or peanut butter
2 tbsp shredded coconut
2 tsp cocoa nibs
1/4-1/2 mashed banana
1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk

Add all ingredients in order above, stirring with a spoon in a small bowl.  Once well mixed, you can flatten it out on a plate in cookie form, cover and refrigerate over night.

If you don't let it sit over night, at least give it a couple hours, as the oats need to soak up the liquid in order to break down the grain so it is digestible.  This recipe is one serving, offering between 15-20g protein depending on what you use in yours.  Getting adequate protein in your breakfast is extremely important for your blood sugar and adrenal balance after a night of fasting, so this is a great option!
Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment