Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sweets!

I love sweets...who doesn't!  What I don't love is the artificially flavored, poor ingredient quality, sugar laden crap that plagues these sweet little pleasures.  SO...I make my own!  I learned very early in my attempts to create "healthy" cookies, and "healthy" brownies, that if you're going to have a treat you may as well make it taste good.  Which typically means you need sugar (of some sort)!

There is a sliding scale of natural sugars that range from sugar in the raw, to agave, to fruit, to honey; and really any one of these is a better option than refined white sugar, or high fructose corn syrup.  My first suggestion is always "you probably don't need it, so skip it", and my second is "if you're going to eat sweets, make them yourself so you can at least control the ingredients".  Being pregnant hasn't been the dietary challenge that I had expected.  I definitely indulge more than I would normally "allow" myself to, however I rarely if ever ignore my belief in eating wholesome healthy foods. 

I really really like making cupcakes!  It is such a creative outlet for me, but every time I make them I feel sick!  Why?  From all the tasting I have to do to make sure their palatable!  So, instead of sharing my ultra-secret cupcake recipes with you, below are some of my favorite "healthier" treats to make at home.  They satisfy your urge for something sweet and special, and you can actually feel pretty dang good about eating it!
**Sorry I don't have pictures, I know that helps!

Raw Cacao Cookies
1 c nuts (1/2 almonds, 1/2 walnuts)
1/2 c currants
2 tbsp coconut oil (melt it down)
1/3 cup cacao nibs
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pinch each of cinnamon & salt (i am loving salt right now, so more than a pinch!)

Put all ingredients in food processor and blend.  I like it to be a little chunky, not entirely smooth like a peanut butter.  Once mixed I form it into a big ball with my hands, place the ball on a piece of saran wrap and "sushi roll" the dough so it looks like a long snake, maybe an inch and a half in diameter.  Place this in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.  Remove uncover the saran wrap, and slice into medallions (little cookies).  You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, they'll last 7-10 days (or freeze them). 

Raw Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
Crust:
1/4 c shredded coconut
1/2 c almonds
1/2 c walnuts
1/2 c dates/raisins
1/4 c raw honey
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa

Filling:
1/2 c coconut milk (use that cream and fat)
1 banana
1/2 avocado
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 c raw agave

Blend crust ingredients in food processor and then press into small pie shapes on a plate.  OR make one big one, that's fun too!  Then blend filling ingredients in food processor and fill each pie with a spoonful of filling.  I like to top with a slice of banana, and sprinkle of cinnamon and coconut flakes for a presentation POW!

Salted almond Truffles
1/2 c almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp raw honey
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 c cocoa powder (topping option)
1/4 c ground almonds (topping option)
Sea salt (topping option)

Combine milk, honey, vanilla, coconut oil, and chili powder in saucepan- simmer.  Add chocolate chips and stir with spatula so it doesn't stick to the pan.  Key is to keep it on low! Refrigerate for an hour or so until firm, then using a melon baller scoop out little truffles and roll them in the topping of your choice.

Cranberry Banana Cookies
1/2 c dried cranberries
2 bananas
1/3 c raw peanut butter
1/4 c unsweetened organic apple sauce
1 tbsp ground flaxseed, 3 tbsp water (this is my egg substitute)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c gluten-free oats
1/2 c brown rice flour
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix wet ingredients first, them bring in the oats, flour, and baking soda last.  Mix well. Using parchment paper ( so no need to grease) place 1-2 inch balls of dough on a cookie sheet, and bake for 10-15 minutes. 

Homemade Ice Cream
1 c cashews
1 banana
1/4 c raw agave
1/4 c raw honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla
1 can coconut milk

Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender.  Pour into a tupperware or container of some sort and freeze!   This is an extremely calorie dense treat, so a couple of bites is plenty...no cups of ice cream here!

Don't feel guilty, just make your own and eat less of it!  Enjoy :)


2 comments:

  1. I am not sure i am waiting for this one as much as I am waiting on discussion about diet supplements that claim to help you lose weight without doing anything.

    then again salted almond truffles are a strong move and i can't even remember what I just wrote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a billion dollar industry that preys on fat people who think they can loose weight by taking a pill...they don't work! What more of a discussion is there?

      Delete