Thursday, May 17, 2012

Almond Carrot Muffins

Despite being gluten free, not believing in eating processed grains, and someone who has read way too much about the impact of sugar on our physiology, I love, love, LOVE to bake!  So I make a few substitutions and feel a little bit better about my creations, because it's fun and delicious to make tasty snacks that I am proud of.  

I have spent the last 2 years without eggs, gluten, or soy in my diet (I'm conscious of my dairy intake, but I love cheese, so it's not a completely avoided food group).  This means that even gluten free bread is not typically an option as it usually has eggs in it.  

Since I've been pregnant a few things have changed.  I will never go back on my gluten free choice, as I feel incredible without it, and weighed down and bloated with it...so it's never coming back.  HOWEVER, I added eggs back in 3 weeks ago (in an effort to help my growing baby's brain development- eggs have one of the highest natural sources of choline), and it's been amazing!  Not only do I love eggs, but I have not noticed any negative side effects from having them back in my diet.  In fact I have more energy, and feel better with them than I did on my normal turkey bacon and kale breakfast.  All this means is that our bodies are always changing and evolving, and sometimes certain foods work and sometimes they don't.  If you read my post of food allergies this makes sense.  I may have high antibodies against eggs, but I don't present a physical symptom...so they're back, until further notice!

This is good news for my baking.  What a difference one little egg can make!  These muffins are fluffy and so amazing, it's hard to stop at one.  Enjoy.

Almond Carrot Muffins
 
1/2 c Coconut Spread (you can use butter too)
2 eggs (woohoo :)
1/2 c raw Madhava Agave
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c almond milk
 
1 c brown rice flour
1 1/2 c almond meal (this was left over from making almond milk, but you can buy it)
2/3 c arrowroot starch

1 tsp xantham gum
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 c shredded organic carrots


Preheat the oven to 350.

Melt your coconut spread in large mixing bowl.  Add eggs and whip well.  Add agave, vanilla, and almond milk and mix well.
In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients.   Slowly pour your dry ingredients into the "wet" bowl using a fork to mix until batter is well blended.  Then shred your carrots in and mix yet again!

I grease my muffin tins with spray Spectrum Coconut oil, and spoon in the batter about half way up each muffin tin.  Put in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes and VOILA! 
Makes 15 or so muffins.




No comments:

Post a Comment