Sunday, April 22, 2012

Breakfast: the most important meal of the day!

I totally believe in the power of a healthy balanced breakfast, and while mine lacks variety (I have typically done the same 3 things every day for the last 2 years), Kale, protein, and some kind of rice product.  I have found something that I look forward to, that nourishes me, satisfies me, and is visually pleasing (yes this is important to me!)! 

Sauteed Kale, Chicken Sausage, & (in this case) Sweet Potato Bread
I used the "Almost Raw' salad from Friday's post to mix in with my kale,
the chicken sausage is nitrate & nitrite free, hormone/antibiotic-free chicken, and they practice ethical farming (yeah!).

The sweet potato bread was somewhat of an experiment yesterday, as I love love LOVE bread, but I never eat it unless I make it.  Because of my limitations, it typically tastes a little "off"...too thick, too crumbly, too much like rice flour, etc...but I thought I'd share this one with you.  When you can't have bread, anything that comes close is delicious!!

Sweet Potato & Brown Rice Bread

1 medium sweet potato, peeled, chopped, boiled and mashed
2 tbsp ground flaxseed (this is your egg substitute in vegan cooking)
2/3 cup warm water
1/4 c raw agave or maple syrup
2 tbsp Organic Coconut Spread (by Earth's Balance- a vegan butter of sports, really pretty good)
3/4 c brown rice flour
3/4 c white rice flour
1 tbsp arrowroot starch
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c slivered almonds

Set the oven for 350 degrees, and if you've already cooked the sweet potato set that aside for now.
Beat the flaxseeds in 2/3 c water as if it were an egg.  Mix in coconut spread and agave, and beat well for a minute or too.  Then start adding your dry ingredients to the mixture, adding the almonds last.  Transfer to a bread baking pan that is well greased ( I use a coconut spray oil by Spectrum), and bake for 40-45 minutes.  It's done when you stick a knife in it and it comes out clean. 

Let cool, you can even refrigerate it, as I find it stays together better cold than leaving it on your counter.  I like to put coconut spread on top, or raspberry jam, or Justin's Maple Almond butter.  Serve as a carbohydrate with your meals or as a quick snack!
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment