Almond Milk KefirYou’ll need:
- 1 cup raw almonds soaked for 8 hrs or more
- 2 liters water
- A nut milk bag to strain your milk (these can be found at your health food store)
- Body Ecology Diet's Kefir Starter (they sell this at Vitamin Cottage, but can also be found here http://bodyecology.com/digestive-health-kefir-starter.html#sthash.oCqOLC0g.dpbs)
- 2 24oz mason jars or containers of choice
- First you should soak your almonds, 8 hours in filtered water, on the counter is fine.
- Drain the almonds and add to a high powered blender like a Vitamix, I use a Ninja.
- Add your 2 liters of filtered water, that's a little more than 8 cups, and blend blend blend
- Pour the contents through your nut milk bag, over a large bowl so you can catch the contents!
- Then mix in your Kefir Starter with a whisk
- And pour contents into your mason jars
- Seal, and leave on your counter (at least 70 degrees) for 24hrs
There will be a "froth" on top. That's the fat from the almonds that's risen to the top. Totally fine to just shake and drink that, but some people like to scrape it off and use it in smoothies. This kefir is extremely mild tasting! It will smell a little sour, or like yogurt, but the taste is much less potent than you would think. You can add a little lemon or just drink it plain.
I suggest starting with a couple ounces first think in the morning for a few days to see how your body responds to the probiotics before drinking a full glass at a time.