Sunday, December 16, 2012

Peanut Sauce...but not!

We love sushi, who doesn't!  But when you have a gluten and soy intolerance the experience can be a little trying.   Sure I've ordered plenty of sushi and not dipped it in soy sauce, instead using lemon and ginger as a topper, but sauces really make it so much better.  So, I make my own and bring it with me!  I have recently eliminated all legumes (peanuts, cashews, beans) because my daughter might have an allergy, this means my peanut sauce recipe has turned into an almond sauce, and it's just as good if not better!

Most peanut sauce recipes call for soy sauce or gf tamari (still soy), or even Braggs amino acids (soy), but I've discovered coconut aminos!  Made by Coconut Secret, you should be able to find it at your local Whole Foods.   Doesn't taste like soy sauce (cause its not) but it is a great substitute.  When I made this sauce last night of course I didn't write down the exact amounts of each ingredient, so you will have to taste as you go with this one.  You can make it thinner by adding more liquid, or thicker by adding more almond butter.  This would be awesome on a lettuce wrap, topped on grilled chicken, used over pad Thai noodles, or as your sushi dipping sauce!

Asian Spiced Almond Sauce
Combine the following in small sauce pan:

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey (or agave)
1/4 cup almond butter (i use the raw bulk nut buuters)
2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4-1/3 cup coconut aminos
2 tablespoons water
spice to taste: (sprinkle in little at a time)
coriander
garlic powder
salt

Let simmer until well combined, stirring constantly so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.  Enjoy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment