Thursday, September 27, 2012

GF Multi-Seed & Nut Bread

Yup, I've found it! The best GF bread out there; great for sandwiches and toast, and you know how I love bread.   I feel much better about the ingredients in this bread than any store bought gf substitute.  It has whole grain brown rice flour as the first ingredient, and isn't full of potato and tapioca starches!  It takes a little time but it's worth it; maybe 20-30 minute prep, then baking time.  I've been making a loaf on Sundays to get us through our week.  Oh and I should mention Rob loves it too, says it's the best GF bread he's ever had! 

Read through all directions before you get started, so you can get an idea of what you're in for.  I've been told my directions tend to be "hard to follow".  Sorry :(

GF Multi-Seed & Nut Bread

Let's do it in this order...at least this is what I do!


Proof the yeast:
Add 1 packet rapid or instant dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
3/4 cups warm water(at 110 to 115ºF) with a pinch of sugar for the yeast
Let it get a little foamy (this doesn't take long- or shouldn't).  Then add 1/2 cup soda water (this helps with the fluffy consistency of the bread)

Prep the flaxseed:
Add 1 tbsp ground flaxseed to 1/4 c warmish water, stir and let sit while you prep the other ingredients.  This needs time to "gel" as this is your egg substitute.

Dry stuff:
I put all these ingredients in a 2 cup measuring cup, that way I can measure each of the flours that way and not have to use an extra bowl.
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup almond flour/meal
1/2 cup GF Oat flour (i process my gf oats in a food processor)
1 cup arrowroot starch
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/ 1/4 teaspoons sea salt

Wet stuff:
Put this stuff in a bowl and stir together
1tbsp ground flaxseed:1/4 c water
The proofed yeast and liquid
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons honey or raw agave nectar
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Nuts and Seeds:
1 cup mixed nuts & seeds goes into the batter (the wet stuff before you put the flours in)
I used walnuts, sunflower seeds, and slivered almonds

Mix with electric mixer and let sit for 30 minutes

Lightly grease your bread pan (i use spray coconut oil), and pour the bread batter into the pan with an oiled spatula (then the bread won't stick).

I like to top mine with poppyseeds and sunflower seeds...get creative, whatever you like.

Bake at 400 for 50 -60min.
Let cool completely before cutting.  It will keep in the frig for a week, otherwise freeze in foil and freezer bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment